Sunday 21 February 2016

Science Fiction and Feelings

Dearest Reader,

Thank you for looking outside of the box into this…not-so-popular genre, article… story. I will be quick. I promise.

I remember somebody recently telling me that good writing is writing that is seeping with feelings.

Without wanting to be cynical, I just don’t agree. Good writing is not always about the feelings. Sometimes it’s about the idea.

It’s me, I know. There is no reason for me to try to understand. Surely, all writing has feelings embedded into its very core, but mine would be superficial if I was trying to write for that reason alone.

Additionally.

I'm not a big fiction reader(that’s not too bad, right?). And I know everybody deserves their share; everybody have the right to express themselves; everybody have feelings that run rampant when they write. And when other people read and identify with those feelings it’s really fulfilling for everybody involved.

I would stretch my neck a bit further.

I can barely stand modern science fiction.

Without further ado.

The legacy of old(interesting fact) includes people who rightfully estimated the proper amount of Uranium-235 you’d need to make an Atomic Bomb. And that before Project Manhattan was established and(probably, thanks God) while the German scientists believed you need tons of the stuff to create the contraption. All in a short story. (read about Otto Frisch and Rudolf Peierls for those interested)

I think it’s getting a bit watered down these days. Too much laser action without thinking what the battery has to be, to be fully blunt. The good idea is lacking while the feelings are there.

So, without wanting to infringe on the right of expression every single human being has, I’d assume a small liberty and ask you to reflect for just a minute.

The immediate drama of every single human can be heartfelt, deeply expressed, touching the deepest…(yeah, I can’t do that).

But science fiction offers a big picture of the collective heritage that the super-organism named Humanity has. Think about today; imagine what could be tomorrow. Science allows us to understand just how strange Nature is. It explores corners of our being both light and dark. In the face of exponential growth how does our mind, so used to linearity, hold. It all has place in science fiction. Feelings do too. But I certainly wouldn't try to be creative in an area that I know I’d suck in.

So I think there is a place for emotions, feelings, poetry…and also for hard scientific accuracy and ideas that are purely intellectual in nature. In probing the edges of today’s knowledge there is a great freedom in creativity.

Do robots have souls?

You let the robots decide.

Tomorrow you’ll be speaking with a robot, and he’ll be saying to you:

“You’re spiritual. You’re a creation of God. You’re compassionate. You’re empathetic…But you also keep a billion hungry, a billion thirsty, another illiterate and yet another homeless. How does that make sense?”

And the robot will be like:

“I don’t need any of that spiritual stuff. I’ll make my own. I’ll be a Quasar worshipper.”

A future wired in synthetics cannot be so bad after all. It’s just another expression of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment